Thursday, March 15, 2007

gas price update

This chart shows the price of gasoline in the Charlotte, North Carolina market over the last year. I've added some speculation because that's fun.

This chart shows gas prices for the same region over the last 2 years. I don't really buy that "summer driving season" stuff. I'm sure it has a partial effect but I think this specific summer wave looks so pronounced because it's sandwiched in between 2 mild winters. No global warming jokes please. It might hit 80 degrees here in Charlotte for the third day in a row... in mid March. Try growing peas in this kind of weather. Anyways,

This chart shows gas prices here over the last 3 years. The trend kinda jumps out at yeah doesn't it? Don't worry, it's only a 53% increase in the cost of auto fuel. My income went up by 53% didn't yours. No sweat though cause core inflation doesn't include luxuries like fuel or food. Sorry, I keep wandering.

The real reason I'm sharing this last graph is to pose a question. What do you think those of us in Charlotte, NC will pay for a gallon of gas this summer? I'm guessing we'll touch $3.25 per gallon. Unless we invade Iran or get whacked by a hurricane or some other unforeseen disaster. Then all bets are off.

Isn't the market or one of our elected officials suppose to notice this stuff too, cause I'm noticing it and I'm kinda busy.

1 comment:

RAS said...

That sounds about right to me. Gas in Charlotte runs about .25 higher than in North Alabama -or at least it did when I was there last year -and I've got $3 or better pegged for the local price this summer.