Wednesday, June 07, 2006

groovy green

I am pleased and excited to announce the launch of a brand new online magazine- Groovy Green!


I’ve been hinting for a while now about a change in the way I address issues of resource depletion and energy decent through my writing. Several months ago I was offered the opportunity to join a talented group of writers in an adventure aimed at creating a more comprehensive website for sharing news and information regarding sustainable issues. It has been quite an exciting experience. The magazine will include a variety of perspectives on various topics concerning a greener way of life. Media formats will include blog posts, featured articles, interviews, videos, product reviews and more.

We plan to pay special attention to the subject matter most important to our readers. Many Americans are waking up to the realities of energy issues and the environmental problems facing us as a result of our over consumptive lifestyles. Scores of people are beginning to recognize the need for a change in the way we live our lives. Our goal is to be The People’s Green Magazine. We want to facilitate change and we want to help others do the same. If you wish to know more about a specific topic or are interested in a certain idea please let us know. Contact us and we’ll check it out.

At first I was a bit apprehensive about contributing to Groove Green. My main concern was that I wouldn’t have enough time to participate in something new and still continue to write often enough here at powering down. During this transition period that has been true but ultimately I think being involved with Groove Green will actually improve the quality of powering down. When I began writing it was as an act of self prescribed therapy. I was writing to get out all the ideas pent up in my mind over peak oil and other such seemingly enormous yet unavoidable changes looming on the horizon. Then a curious thing happened. People started to read what I was writing. I discovered there are plenty of others with similar feelings. I also discovered many individuals already working on ways to address these issues. As my small but loyal audience grew I noticed a change in my attitude towards writing. I began to feel an obligation to write regularly and to provide polished posts of substance. Sometimes it even felt like work. As I began to contemplate contributing to this new site a thought occurred to me. Here’s the new plan:

Groovy Green will be a place to combine and develop ideas in a more comprehensive direction. This will allow me to grow as a writer and allow me the mental freedom to return to a loose and spontaneous style here at powering down. In other words I will continue to plant seeds here at powering down. As they sprout I will transplant some of them to Groovy Green where they’ll have more room to grow. Perhaps in the future they’ll develop into mature plants bearing fruit for many years. I hope so.

There will be some overlap in my work. I may reference other items I’ve written in alternate locations. I will also be writing under a different name at Groovy Green (I think you’ll be able to figure it out ;) I welcome any comments you have regarding this development. It’s starting to feel like a journey now that I’ve taken a few more steps. I couldn’t be happier to have you all along with me as we walk.

Thanks,

aaron

Groovy Green Online Magazine

Groovy Green Blog

No comments: